Re: WebP, anyone using it?

On Monday, October 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
> I'm not sure that's relevant. Just because no one is using WebP now
> (assuming that's the case; I don't honestly know) doesn't mean they
> won't in the future. The markup format itself shouldn't care about
> formats. It should just acknowledge that "oh wait, browser X doesn't
> support format Y" is a situation that should be accounted for and the
> logic for what a browser should do in that case should be defined.
>
> We already know from audio/video that case does exist, and there's no
> reason to believe that it will never happen for images (unless we never
> create another image format again, which is quite unlikely), so it's a
> use case that should be handled.

I certainly don't disagree with your statement - and it makes perfect sense. I'm cautioning that we don't go down the path of trying to solve all the problems and stick to the ones that are affecting us most today (i.e., a kind of 80/20 rule). Image formats may or may not be amongst those (which is why I put the call out for evidence that other formats are being used).

--
Marcos Caceres