Re: what about progressively encoded images and http range requests?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Le Roux Bodenstein <lerouxb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My concern is then over defining a new image format, garnering support
>> in tools and browsers, and bypassing any patent issues.
>
> Or you could just use an existing format like JPEG 2000:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000
>
> from the article: "The codestream obtained after compression of an
> image with JPEG 2000 is scalable in nature, meaning that it can be
> decoded in a number of ways; for instance, by truncating the
> codestream at any point, one may obtain a representation of the image
> at a lower resolution"
>
> Wavelet compression appears to be made to solve exactly this problem.

I had wondered what made JPEG 2000 different, but never bothered to
look it up. Interesting. This may have legsā€¦

Cheers,

Aaron

----
Aaron Gustafson
Principal
Easy Designs, LLC
+1 877 EASY 313 x101
aaron@easy-designs.net
@aarongustafson

=== OUT NOW ===
Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
http://adaptivewebdesign.info