RE: -webkit-image-set

[...]
> In my opinion the image choice should be in the HTML.
>
> Specifically I like my idea (obviously :) which is currently option #9 on
> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/responsive-assets

#9 is interesting, but the query string implies that some sort of server-side processing will happen. Part of me thinks that limits the folks who don't have their own server (or inclination or skill to tinker), which includes so many of the sites on blogs. Those authors may just always serve the large file because they cannot reconfigure how the host behaves.

Even the idea that the browser sends the request with a ":" in the file name still implies some server adjustments to make the filename work.

Unless I am missing something obvious here.

Maybe it just stuffs the number before the extension, pre-pended with a dash/underscore (image_70.jpg)?