Re: Namespacing RDFa attributes in custom XML vocabularies

From: Alan Jeffrey <ajeffrey@bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:14:33 -0500
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
CC: "public-rdfa@w3.org" <public-rdfa@w3.org>
On 06/22/2010 03:07 PM, Toby Inkster wrote:
> Though the following should be fine:
>
> 	<ns:example xmlns:ns="http://ex.com/"
> 		about="http://ex.com/foo"
> 		rel="http://ex.com/bar"
> 		href="http://ex.com/baz" />

That's true.  It does mean we're using part of the precious global
NCName namespace.  There's the possibility of confusion when mixing
RDFa-enabled and non-RDFa-enabled XML vocabularies, but I think all our
vocabularies are likely to be RDFa-enabled, so that's probably not a
problem.

> I'm not convinced so-far that there's a case for adding this to RDFa
> Core. If you know of real-life tools that the current RDFa attributes
> cause problems for, then do please follow up. As OpenDocument shows,
> host languages can already choose to place the RDFa attributes in an
> alternative namespace, but they do so at the cost of compatibility with
> generic RDFa processors.

Well it was impacting me :-) but that's because I'd chosen to use QNames
for attributes, I can revert back to NCNames.

> For what it's worth, the latest development version of my RDFa parser
> (RDF::RDFa::Parser - this is the parser that powers check.rdfa.info)
> does allow for namespaced attributes (though all the attributes have to
> reside in the same namespace as each other). There is a little hack you
> can use to enable it:

> 	name="http://search.cpan.org/dist/RDF-RDFa-Parser/#auto_config"
> 	content="ns=http://example.com/some-namespace" />
>
> This can be used in non-XHTML/HTML content too:
>
> 	<x:meta xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> 	name="http://search.cpan.org/dist/RDF-RDFa-Parser/#auto_config"
> 	content="ns=http://example.com/some-namespace" />
>
> Auto-config is (clearly) a parser-specific feature, really just
> intended for testing interesting/experimental features of
> RDF::RDFa::Parser.

Ooh cool.

Thanks for your help!

Alan.