Re: RDFa DOM API: Adding RDF triples to the DOM

Dear Richard,

Thanks for this remark.

 Cyganiak schrieb:
> I totally lack context, and don't know why this is posted but will
> throw in my €0.02 anyway.

I am sorry that I forgot to describe the context for my post. The RDFa
Working group works on an RDFa DOM API.

Manu Sporny published a first specification draft at:
http://dev.w3.org/rdfa/specs/rdfa-dom-api.html

> I doubt the wisdom of having a addTriple in an RDFa DOM API.

What about adding DBpedia links to phrases inside web pages?
e.g., linking DERI to
http://dbpedia.org/page/Digital_Enterprise_Research_Institute

An annotator might transform the following sentence on a web page:

"DERI, is an international network of independent  ...  " to
about="http://dbpedia.org/page/Digital_Enterprise_Research_Institute"
property="foaf:name">DERI</span>
is an international network of independent  ...

Now, doing this manually is burdensome.
> Such an API should provide read access to the RDFa graph that is
> encoded, perhaps with some ways of restricting and setting scope
> (“give all triples in that div, give me all triples with that subject,
> give me the element that is @about that URI”).
>
> If you want to modify the graph, you should modify the DOM tree using
> standard DOM operations, and attribute accessors (el.about='#me',
> el.property='foaf:name' and such). This is simple and works.

I wrote algorithms for that and would have been glad to have any DOM API
RDFa support except the low level node transformations. Indeed it is not
that simple, especially in JavaScript.
> If you want to modify the DOM tree by invoking graph-level
> modifications, then you hit a gigantic impedance mismatch, and you
> will end up designing a horrible, horrible kludge. Don't go there. No
> one needs this.
Well, :) I need it. It would make life easier and encourages to create
links not only between datasets but also between data and documents.

So I think it's worth discussing here.

> Best,
> Richard

Greetings,