Re: Wiki-based vocabulary website idea

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 22:37:02 -0400
To: RDFa TF list <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
CC: Public RDFa <public-rdfa@w3.org>
Michael, Mark, Kingsley, and Sergey,

Michael Hausenblas wrote:
> I absolutely support your principle idea re vocabulary management. There is
> indeed a need for people to find, share, and create vocabularies. However,
> please let us not reinvent the wheel here or even worse creating an
> RDFa-specific solution, as this is a general RDF issue.

Yes, certainly, we don't want to re-invent the wheel and we do want to
use existing solutions as much as possible. This is a general RDF issue,
which I tried to express by writing "RDF(a)", but it seems that the
subtleness of the statement was lost. I've updated the page to
explicitly state that it is a general RDF issue. I added text to the
introduction section to make this more clear:

http://rdfa.info/wiki/wiki-based-vocabulary-website#Introduction

> As already many people (incl. me ;) have put considerable time and thoughts
> into this issue, please consider reviewing the following resources, projects
> and efforts before you continue:

Thanks for the links Michael, Mark, and Sergey - they were very helpful.
I've updated the wiki to refer to those links:

http://rdfa.info/wiki/wiki-based-vocabulary-website#State_of_the_Art

Each also has a set of bullet-points that point out why I don't consider
those complete solutions. The one that comes the closest, I believe, is
OpenVocab.

This would be a fun project to work on, if I had the free time... so in
the mean-time, I'm just documenting what a complete solution might look
like. I still don't think that the collective set of requirements are
met by any of the solutions listed thus-far... perhaps, the requirements
aren't as clear as they should be?

The major issue with all of the solutions thus far are ease-of
creation/publishing and ensuring that vocabularies are highly-available.
Something akin to Linux distro/kernel mirrors would be nice - something
like apt/yum mirrors for RDF vocabularies.

Looking for more feedback...

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny