Re: A Simple Extension for RDFa Table Support

Hi Edward,

El mar, 19-05-2009 a las 10:59 -0400, Edward Benson escribió:
> Hi everyone,
>

> Our research group has been building several wiki- and blog-based
> tools for which RDFa support would be a great fit. While looking at
> how we might integrate it, we came upon a suggestion for how RDFa
> might achieve a cleaner representation when used with tables.
>

> The fact that the <COL /> element of a table doesn't actually contain
> anything makes it impossible (under the current rules) to stash
> meaningful information there from the RDFa perspective. This means
> that we can put structured information across each row of a table, but
> not down each column, leaving us to repeat a lot of RDFa annotation
> information across each row. Here is a pseudocode example:
>

> <TABLE>
>   <TR><TH>First</TH><TH>Last</TH></TR>
>   <TR subject="tj"><TD property="first">Thomas</TD><TD
> property="last">Jefferson</TD></TR>
>   <TR subject="ja"><TD property="first">John</TD><TD
> property="last">Adams</TD></TR>
> </TABLE>
>
> What if instead, when parsing the DOM to extract structured
> information, whenever a <TD> element is encountered, the corresponding
> <COL> element is treated as if it were the DOM parent of the <TR>
> element for that cell. This would allow us to stash information both
> on the rows *and* the columns of the table, allowing for a much more
> compact representation:
>

> <TABLE>
>   <COL property="first" /><COL property="last" />
>   <TR><TH>First</TH><TH>Last</TH></TR>
>   <TR subject="tj"><TD>Thomas</TD><TD>Jefferson</TD></TR>
>   <TR subject="ja"><TD>John</TD><TD>Adams</TD></TR>
> </TABLE>
>

> Let us know what you think. It makes tables fit much more naturally,
> from our personal aesthetic point of view.. As such, it may make it
> much easier for template writers (think blog themes, Wikipedia Info
> Boxes, etc) to incorporate into their templates and content.

We explored a similar proposal in the MyMobileWeb project, please see
section 2.3.3 of the deliverable 5.4.1 "Semantic extensions for
IDEAL" [1]. Don't hesitate to contact me for futher details.

Best,

[1]
http://forge.morfeo-project.org/wiki_en/images/c/c1/Celtic.2008.D.5.4.1.pdf

--