Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

Hi Henri,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2009, at 10:32, Mark Birbeck wrote:
>
>> The second is that you say that if I "wish to get new features added
>> to HTML5", I need to do this or that; I would like to clarify that
>> whether HTML5 supports RDFa is neither here nor there to me. (You'll
>> notice that I only joined this debate to clarify a point about
>> processing.)
>

> My previous reply was a bit besides the point here:
>
> The actual point is that the technical issues apply to text/html deployment
> regardless of whether RDFa is 'officially' added to HTML 5.

Right. And as a question of deployment, it is not something that the
HTML5 spec-writers have the final say on; even if it were wildly
difficult to create an RDFa parser in script (which it isn't, of
course), that would still be something for implementers to make a
decision about, not the HTML5 spec team.

As I said before, RDFa can already be used with HTML5, by anyone who
wants to do so, and provided that HTML5 remains backwards compatible
with HTML 4, it will continue to be usable.

So it sounds to me like we have the best of both worlds; those who
want to use RDFa -- such as a number of UK government projects,
Yahoo!, etc., etc. -- can continue to do so. Those who think it's the
creation of the devil are free to avoid it. ;)

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane