Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Manu Sporny wrote:

> We have been gathering a complete list of Use Cases for the HTML5+RDFa
> discussion here:
>
> http://rdfa.info/wiki/rdfa-use-cases

Ideally it would be helpful if the descriptions did not actually mention
RDF or RDFa. For example, looking at the first use case:

| The system uses RDFa to speed up user interaction when editing
| structured data. Instead of communicating with a remote server, the
| WSWYIG editor uses a direct manipulation based on RDFa and updates the
| server with the generated RDF graph only when the interaction finishes.

It's not clear here what makes RDF any more interesting to the solution
than, say, JSON, or SQL, or XML.

Is the problem "The user interactions when editing structured data using
technologies like JSON, SQL, or XML are slow"?

The SearchMonkey problem description, while not really phrased as a
problem, is much closer to the kind of thing I'm looking for in order to
evaluate the proposals here.

The ccREL use case description doesn't describe the problem. It just
describes what ccREL is. It would be helpful if the problem was actually
explained, e.g. "Authors need a way to make sure that their content reuses
other content only in the manner allowed by that other content".

Again, with the Bitmunk description: what is the problem being solved? Is
it "users can't buy music online"? Is it "sites that discuss TV shows want
to be able to have their users buy the TV shows without explicitly picking
one provider and running the risk of appearing biased by taking a referral
fee"? Is it "Web browsers don't have a way to determine what is a movie
name which is necessary for them to show UI to offer to send them to
iTunes to buy movies"?

With Fuzzbot, what is the problem? Examples of what is "smarter" would be
good. How would this help an author writing on a Facebook blog or a user
reading that blog, say?

I'll stop now, but hopefully this helps explain why the current use cases
aren't really helpful. The idea is not to show that RDF is great, the idea
is to show what users and authors can't do today, so that we can find the
best solutions for those users and authors (which may well be RDFa).