Re: A vocabulary discussion for Digg

Hi Ben, Steve, everyone...

Ben Adida wrote:

> Steve Williams, cc'ed, is working on adding more RDFa to Digg. He's
> exploring possible vocabularies to use for # of diggs, thumbnails, etc..
> He may be interested in creating a new vocab for social media, but he's
> interested in reuse first (go Steve/Digg!)
>
> Can we provide guidance on what vocabularies to look at?

OK, here's my goal.

I would like to have a model for finding FOAF-in-RDFa in OpenID identity
pages, such that when a user logs in using that ID, we get corresponding
information about them from the account-hosting service.

For example, Advogato publish FOAF files like this:

http://www.advogato.org/person/danbri/
-> http://www.advogato.org/person/danbri/foaf.rdf

which contain assertions like

   <foaf:PersonalProfileDocument rdf:about="">
     <rdfs:label>Advogato FOAF profile for Dan Brickley</rdfs:label>
     <foaf:maker rdf:resource="#me"/>
     <foaf:primaryTopic rdf:resource="#me"/>
   </foaf:PersonalProfileDocument>
   <foaf:Group rdf:about="http://www.advogato.org/ns/trust#Journeyer">
     <foaf:member rdf:resource="#me"/>
   </foaf:Group>
  ...etc

In other words, they are labeling me as being in the category
"Journeyer". This in general is interesting data to have in the public
Web, ... but it becomes vastly more interesting when the URI from which
we get that label is itself something I can use to log into sites with
via OpenID (or similar technology).

There are rumours around that Digg will be an OpenID consumer. I hope it
will offer some form of OpenID server role too. This could be as simple
as embedding delegation markup pointing to a 'real' OpenID service.

I've just set up http://digg.com/users/danbri today. It currently knows
nothing about me. But as I accumulate Karma within Digg it would be
fantastic if that could be made explicit in FOAF or other vocabs. I
would be more than happy to extend FOAF to cover such use cases, and
have been in discussions with other OpenID adopters about models for
doing so (which I need to write up).

Why do all this? Because for now, spammers are mostly not using OpenID.
But they will be soon. So the more diverse karma, credentials, and
evidence-of-not-being-a-spammer we can attach to OpenIDs, the better.
And also, the credibility one gains on one site could benefit you on
another, which could be a very curious dynamic. If I've devoted many
precious hours to getting a high status in Digg-land, maybe people will
user that to track my bookmarks on delicious or my edits on wikipedia etc...

So Steve --- is there anything you can say re plans for OpenID?

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/