Re: A vocabulary discussion for Digg

Ben Adida wrote:
> We need to kick-start this RDFa users' mailing list, and what better way
> to do it than by helping one of our early adopters, Digg!

Digg is responsible for consuming at least an hour of my productivity
per day. I worry about how much more of my time is going to be lost to
Digg now that you're going to have more semantic data to aid in feeding
my addiction! :)

> Steve Williams, cc'ed, is working on adding more RDFa to Digg. He's
> exploring possible vocabularies to use for # of diggs, thumbnails, etc..
> He may be interested in creating a new vocab for social media, but he's
> interested in reuse first (go Steve/Digg!)

Awesome that you're interested in re-use Steve - hope you (and some of
your engineers) will join the public RDFa mailing list (if you haven't
already). The vocabulary that comes to mind first is, of course, SIOC:

http://sioc-project.org/ontology

By using SIOC, you'll probably also end up using Dublin Core and FOAF:

Dublin Core:
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/

FOAF:
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/

It would allow Digg to mark up people, categories (Technology, Politics,
Science, etc.), roles (poster, commenter, etc.), avatars (images),
groups, friends, posts, comments, comment order, number of comments, etc.

We might want to start with a typical Digg story page (pre-existing
story) and work our way up from there. Do you have a particular section
of the site that you'd want to focus on first? A basic XHTML example
that you're interested in marking up?

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny