Re: Reproducing Gregg/Niklas' thoughts (@itemref issue) (ISSUE-144)

On Dec 29, 2012, at 22:47 , Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:

> As I noted elsewhere, I provisionally added this to the HTML+RDFa spec [1]. I was going to add some test cases to the test suite for it, but it struck me that we had not discussed the use case of rdf:Prototype elements themselves using rdf:ref. I illustrated this in an example I sent out earlier:

>             <link property="rdfa:ref" resource="_:a"/>
>             <link property="rdfa:ref" resource="_:b"/>
>               <link property="rdfa:ref" resource="_:c"/>
>
> In this case, _:b is an rdfa:Prototype which in-turn references _:c. Using the SPARQL implementation Ivan sent out, and I included in the spec, this would, in fact, not work, as the INSERT would need to be repeated until no new triples were added before there could be a DELETE. (My implementation, piggybacking on vocabulary expansion and using antecedent/consequent patterns, could handle this). We have a couple of ways to go:
>
> 1) explicitly allow this, and require that the equivalent of a SPARQL INSERT be performed until no additional triples are added to the graph,
> 2) explicitly disallow this, and generate an error if it is so detected, and not generate triples from deeper references, or
> 3) explicitly disallow this, generate a warning, and describe the behavior as being undefined.

Or use a different formalism. There is nothing that binds us to the SPARQL formalism; if we provide the rules using, e.g., the formalism in the RDF Semantics document (which makes sense because we refer to those for the inference part as well), then we can do that. We have to separate the 'remove' rules separately, but that is all right.

It actually may be better because people might more easily translate that into real implementations.

I would prefer to allow this. Put it another way, it would be more complicated to justify and check disallowing it, although I do not see that as a major use case.

Thanks!

Ivan