Re: Potentials of the RDFa DOM API

On May 25, 2010, at 04:47 , Manu Sporny wrote:

> Hi Niklas,
>
> Yes, I think there is much that the RDFa Community can collaborate on
> with you regarding the RDFa DOM API.
>
> On 05/22/2010 08:05 AM, Niklas Lindström wrote:
>> 1. Do you see the same potential as I do of a general API?
>
> Yes, definitely.
>
>> 2. Is it feasible to extract these non-DOM-intrinsic parts from the
>> RDFa DOM API?
>
> Yes. That said, we need to be very careful as we're chartered to create
> an RDFa DOM API and we must stay focused on doing that. If, as a
> side-effect, we create something that is easy to lift into another
> specification - great.
>
>> 2. Would it make sense to create a Working Group for such an API,
>> decoupled from RDFa?
>
> Perhaps... but again, it's a very long road to creating a Working Group
> at the W3C. This may be a part of the RDF Next Steps workshop that is
> going to be happening this summer.

This is something that will indeed be part (I presume) of the discussions at that workshop. The questions are not simple, however. There is an issue of priorities with possibly other problems that require a more urgent action; it is also not 100% whether the community would accept and/or would be interested in having a standard RDF API. What language(s) (Java, Python, Javascript, etc)? What happens to the deployed applications of Jena vs. Sesame vs. Redland vs....? Etc, etc.

In any case, this is not a discussion that should happen on the RDFa WG. That Working Group is not chartered to handle the RDF API in general as a Recommendation, only a, possible, note on its experiences on the matter...

>> Finally, will anybody working with the RDFa DOM API participate in the
>> RDF Next Steps workshop [7]?
>
> Ivan is going to be there, I think.

I will indeed.

Ivan