Re: General feedback on the RDFa API draft

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 00:36:41 +0100
Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> Without delving in to too many specifics, I'm slightly (something)
> that the RDFa API only caters for handling RDFa inside a User Agent
> with DOM support,

It only deals with handling RDFa in *environments* with DOM support.
The term "user agent" generally implies a browser-or-browser-like-thing.
The RDFa API should be implementable on top of any DOM implementation;
not just browsers.

For what it's worth, although I don't use the RDFa API for it yet (it's
too new), the RDFa linter at check.rdfa.info uses extensive DOM
scripting on the server-side:

	1. the page being linted is parsed into a DOM using either an
	   XML or an HTML parser;
	2. RDFa is extracted from that DOM;
	3. an empty second DOM is created;
	4. the final report is written in the second DOM using standard
	   DOM methods (appendChild, setAttribute, etc);
	5. the second DOM is serialised as either HTML or XML (conneg),
	   and printed back to the client.

The RDFa API looks like it would simplify writing such a service.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>