Re: When is equal and when is it nonequal (eg, the IRI interface)

On Jun 9, 2010, at 22:53 , Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:44:41 +0200
> Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> The problem is as follows. In a package like RDFLib, the equality is
>> fairly simple, it is based on the equality of the URIs (let us put,
>> for a moment, the issue of IRI vs URI and its encoding aside).
>> However, our version of the IRI has two attributes: the 'value' and
>> the 'origin'. Ie, to IRI instances that have the same value but
>> different origins are different.
>
> 'origin' as specified needs fixing. Rather than:
>
> 	triple.subject.origin
>
> We should have:
>
> 	triple.subjectOrigin
>
> That way testing for equivalence between IRIs, Blank nodes and Literals
> becomes obvious.
>
> <> rdfs:seeAlso
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2010Apr/0161.html>.

Ah, I must admit I did not remember that one. Yes, testing equivalence for IRIs, Literals, etc, become obvious. However, that still means that, in

the two _triples_ are different in the API, while they are not as RDF triples.

Put it another way, the model for our stores is, say, a 6-store,... (or a quadstore with the fourth item packaging information about the 3 DOM nodes). It should still be made very explicit, including the fact that if the graph is serialized, the fourth entry should be forgotten and triples should be, possibly, merged...