Re: Format of @profile files (summarizing ISSUE-39, maybe moving forward...)

On Aug 24, 2010, at 14:14 , Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to address my comments!
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 14:52, Ivan Herman wrote:
>>> 2. “They may also be defined in other RDF serializations as well” -- What's the intent here? That such other serializations are provided as alternatives via content negotiation?
>>
>> Hm. This is _my_ opinion, may not be the WG's: the answer is yes.
>
> May I suggest wording along the lines of: “When the protocol used for accessing the profile document supports delivery in multiple alternative formats, then the profile document may also be defined in other RDF serializations in addition to HTML+RDFa.”

Sounds good. I have made the change.

>>> 4. Personally I wouldn't mind if the current, literal-based method for establishing *prefix* mappings stayed. That being said ...
>>
>> I would prefer to leave it. I think that for our authors it would be very complicated to grasp why two things, that are fairly similar in many respect, follow a different syntax approach.
>
> Fine with me either way.
>
>>> 7. Can you give an example for the intended use of rdfa:vocabulary? I don't understand it.
>>
>> This is indeed rarely used (probably), it is however a useful mechanism for host languages specific profiles.
>>
>> See
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2010Jul/0134.html
>
> I understand the default vocabulary mechanism, but I don't understand how they are expressed in a profile document. I believe the intention is something along these lines:
>
> <http://example.com/my-host-language#> rdfa:vocab ??? .
>
> The default vocabulary URI goes into the subject. But what goes into the object?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Modeling wise it should be

<http://example.com/my-host-language#> rdfa:vocabulary "True"^^xsd:boolean .

But I was not sure whether it is worth the trouble to add that explicit request in the processing rules...

[snip]

>>> 9. The Note at the end of the proposed text seems to state an exception to the earlier statement: “... parse the retrieved content as an RDFa document ...”. Maybe the Note can be converted into a qualifying statement on that sentence? “... parse the retrieved content as an RDFa document, except that any @profile within the content is ignored ...”?
>>
>> Actually... I blindly took this from the current document but I really wonder whether this is necessary whatsoever. What we are saying that the default graph of the profile document is the profile graph for the current document. On that level how the profile graph was created (maybe through its own profile documents) is besides the point... I would prefer to ditch it altogether!
>
> I think you are right, this exception isn't strictly needed any more. I'm not sure though that I like the possibility of arbitrarily deeply nested profile document structure (including potential infinite nesting loops). I'd feel better if there was AT LEAST some language along these lines: “To avoid latency and recursive nesting problems, profile document authors SHOULD NOT use the @profile mechanism inside profile documents.”

Yes, that is a good idea. Added.

>>> 10. There should be a sub-section on default profiles.
>>
>> I added instead a reference to section 6 where this is described.
>
> I see a reference for default vocabulary URI, but what I meant was profiles (incl. term and prefix mappings) pre-defined by the host language.

But this can be used for other purposes as well, not only for the host language thingy! Essentially, an rdf:vocabulary triplet is equivalent to a @vocab attribute used on the same node. That is why I have put the reference to section 6

Ivan