Re: The term "origin"

On 06/10/2010 05:13 AM, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> First, kudos for publishing the RDFa API draft:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-rdfa-api-20100608/

Thanks, Thomas :)

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Right after we published
the RDFa API FPWD, we went back to working hard on RDFa Core and
XHTML+RDFa. Now that we have those almost published, we're moving back
to RDFa API.

> A quick observation while skimming the draft is that you use the
> attribute name "origin" to identify the DOM node that something comes
> from.
>
> A reader of your specification who is used to DOM APIs is likely to
> think of an "origin" as the scheme-domain-port triple that originated
> something (be it a document or something else), and that feeds into
> the HTML5 security policy.
>
> I'm worried that overloading the term "origin" further is likely to
> cause confusion for some readers (and authors), and would suggest
> that you find a different attribute name.

The term has been changed from "origin" to "source" to express the
Element that triggered the creation of the subject, predicate or object.
We'll have a new Editors Draft reflecting the change out in an hour or two.

Does this address your concern?

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: WebApp Security - A jQuery Javascript-native SSL/TLS library
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/07/20/javascript-tls-1/
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/07/20/javascript-tls-2/