Re: Format of the RDFa profile in RDFa 1.1 Core (Re: Editor's Drafts Updated)

Ivan Herman wrote:
> The current document says, section 10 (referring to vocabulary documents):
>
> "These documents must be defined in an RDFa Host Language. They MAY be defined in other RDF serializations as well (e.g., RDF/XML [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] or Turtle [TURTLE])."
>
> and it also says, right before Appendix C: "RDFa and RDF/XML versions of the vocabulary SHOULD be provided."

This was really supposed to be an issue (we should have those
serializations of OUR vocabulary).
> Couple of comments on that
>
> - first of all, the note and the text are not equivalent (should vs. may)
>
> - I am not sure we should keep it as general as RDFa Host Language. Say, in some years, somebody comes up with a XYZML+RDFa spec, and this spec makes additions to the processing steps, a bit like RDFa 1.1 XTHML does. According to this text, from that moment on, it is o.k. to define the vocabulary in XYZML+RDFa. However, RDFa processors may not be able to use that, because they have not yet updated their implementation to the extended processing rules.
>
> I would propose to be more restrictive here, and simply say HTML5+RDFa and XHTML+RDFa.

AND?  or OR.  For now I am changing it to XHTML+RDFa (since we are 100%
confident there will actually be one of those and that it will be
compatible).
> - That being said, the original proposal (I think it was Toby's) was to say that "Conformant processors MUST understand (X)HTML+RDFa, and MAY understand other RDF serializations formats". There is a difference here. Say that the market evolves in such a way that all RDFa processors understand Turtle. That means that a deployment that relies exclusively on Turtle would be fine, and the authors would not feel like breaking the rules. But the current text would not give this freedom...

Right.  And it should not.  How would we evern know that ALL
implementations understand Turtle?  We need to mandate one format.