Re: proposal to close Issue 109 (ill-typed literals)

On Feb 26, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Peter Patel-Schneider wrote:

> I propose closing Issue 109 as described by Pat back in November in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2012Nov/0195.html
>
> The proposal is, roughly, to make ill-typed literals not denote anything, which (due to the very picky details of the wording of the rest of the semantics) means that any triple with an ill-typed literal is false (and not ill-typed itself, which you might have thought).

The source of this change was Richard wanting ill-typed literals be a kind of inconsistency, and the 'false triple' solution does exactly that. And that wording, while picky, is also absolutely standard, so this way of handling it is logically 'natural'.

BTW, if we impose the condition that  <I('sss'@ttt), I(ttt)>  in IEXT(I(rdf:type)), then we would get an inconsistency from an ill-typed literal in any case, even with the old treatment of ill-typed literals.

Pat