RE: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On Monday, February 18, 2013 7:08 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> > Yes. Would that also be the case if bNodes would *not* denote the
> graph they
> > label? As I understand it, if bNodes wouldn't denote the graph, you
> couldn't
> > look up a graph labeled with a bNode ID in a dataset because you
> wouldn't
> > know if that bNode ID denotes that graph or not. Is that correct?
>
> Aha! Would "does not formally denote the graph" mean there's no usable
> mapping from label to graph? I believe we can factor out whether
> bnodes are permitted as graph labels as this question is arises in
> either case.

I think it does. I think that's exactly the problem that Pat outlined in one
of his previous emails:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2013Feb/0096.html

Unfortunately, I think that's the case for http://a.example/graphs/b1.

> I don't know how to utter that in the semantics doc 'cause I don't
> know what "denotes" means. The semantics that we're trying to avoid
> implying is that dataset1's graph <foo> is the same as dataset2's
> graph <foo>. (Some systems may make such a promise, but it's not
> generally required of e.g. deployed linked data or SPARQL systems.)

Why's that? Why does "foo" not identify (to use a different term) the graph.
The two datasets may contain the same triples of the graph "foo", or maybe
just a subset of them. Why is this different from an IRI in the subject
position?

> All the semantics has to capture is that for a given dataset, there is
> a map from graph label to graph. I suspect we don't want to go a
> step further and say that the mapping is 1:1 because of:
>
>     {
>       <b1> dc:author "Bob" .
>       <b2> dc:author "Bob" .
>       <b1> owl:sameAs <b2> .
>     }
>     <b1> { ... some triples ... }
>     <b2> { ... some triples ... }

What would be the problem if we would do that?

> I suspect that saying
>
>     Within a dataset, a graph node label denotes a graph.
>    Graph node labels may appear as subjects or objects in graphs.
>
> would do the trick, but again, I don't understand what drove us from
> "denotes" to "is paired with".

Neither do I.. I'm trying to find it out because I find it very confusing
and inconsistent. Thanks for your patience. I know this all has already been
debated to death but I wasn't able to find any arguments baking the decision
up (apart from "the SPARQL WG is silent about it").

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler