Re: RDF 1.1 Primer

On 12/17/13 6:09 PM, Guus Schreiber wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Just to let you know that we adopted your suggestion for an open issue
> in the
> Primer, namely to use the SPARQL style PREFIX/... notation in the
> examples.
> See the published version
>
> Our rationale: people who prefer @prefix will probably not read the
> Primer.
>
> Of course open for debate if people feel it should be different.
>
> Guus

Guus,

As per a comment I made a while back (re. Turtle example 3), what's
wrong with dropping prefixes from the examples all together?

Please understand, these examples aren't for us (as I've already
stated), they are for the folks that have historically found RDF
confusing or too complex.

If you drop prefixes, you lose some aesthetics while gaining a broader
audience. When prefixes aren't in play, the very essence of RDF based
Linked Data manifests right before the reader, as she or he progresses
through the material.

Note: I am commenting based on actual experience teaching Turtle to a
variety of student profiles (RDF doubters and/or neophytes) without
prefixes. It actually works very well.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen