Re: Proposed resolution needed: ISSUE-148: IRIs do *not* always denote the same resource

On 12/17/13 7:06 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> I don't care much whether we use denote or identify. According to Pat,
> "identify" is technically more correct whereas Richard points out that
> "denote" is more consistent with the rest of the section. I personally
> prefer "identify" in this case because I believe that it is the term that's
> best aligned with RFC3986/RC3987 and WEBARCH.

Are you sure that Pat preferred "identify" over "denote" as you've
presented above?

RDF is about IRIs denoting entities. I believe it's been long
established that every entity isn't a Web accessible resource.

A sign provides signification [1][2]. For instance, I can have an
Identity Card that "Identifies" me. In that identity card I could have
an sign (e.g., an IRI) that denotes (signifies) me. Basically, the
Identity card is a collection of claims expressed as attribute=value
pairs that coalesce around the sign that denotes me [3][4] i.e., a
collection of statements represented as RDF triples.

Links:

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/signify
[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/identify
[3]
http://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/YouID/IDcard_LinkedIn_131213_115105/index.html
-- HTML based Identity Card
[4]
http://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/YouID/IDcard_LinkedIn_131213_115105/131213_115105_profile.ttl
-- Turtle variant of Identity Card
[5]
http://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/YouID/IDcard_LinkedIn_131213_115105/131213_115105_profile.ttl#identity
-- Identity Card Subject
[6] http://bit.ly/1jefPPO -- Vapour Report (where I've deliberately
chosen the option for Vapour to make sense out of the RDF content)
[7] http://bit.ly/1bMpGSV -- Ditto using JSON-LD based Identity Card.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen