RE: RDF 1.1: "Some properties may change over time." (ISSUE-178)

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:08:29 +0100
To: "'RDF Working Group'" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "'Thomas Baker'" <tom@tombaker.org>
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:17 PM, Thomas Baker wrote:
> A minor point, but the wording of the following bullet point in Section
> 5 of
> Concepts [1] seems ambiguous:
>
>     Some properties may change over time. A relationship that holds
> between two
>     resources at one time may not hold at another time.
>
> The first sentence can too easily be read as saying that properties
> _themselves_ change, whereas: "An IRI, once minted, should never change
> its intended referent".

Good catch Thomas, I've created ISSUE-178 to track this.

>  Perhaps something like the following is intended:
>
>     A relationship that holds between two resources at one time (i.e.,
>     a property) may not hold at another time.
>
> This fits with the earlier characterization of a property as "a
> resource that can be thought of as a binary relation". [2]

I think something like

    A relationship that holds between two resources at one time (i.e.,
    an RDF statement) may not hold at another time.

or even just

    An RDF statement that holds at one time may not hold at another time.

Would be even clearer. What do you think?

Thanks,
Markus

--
Markus Lanthaler