Re: multiple-graph example in the Primner

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 13:26:12 +0100
Cc: W3C RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Guus Schreiber <guus.schreiber@vu.nl>

On 05 Dec 2013, at 11:53 , Guus Schreiber <guus.schreiber@vu.nl> wrote:

> In the telecon yesterday there were some flames about the graph metadata examples in the Primer.
>
> My position:
> - There needs to be at least one example triple in the Primer in which a graph name is being used. Dropping this completely is for the editors a no-go.

I think I agree with that. I know that we failed to properly define that stuff; that is now water under the bridge. But we also _know_ that many people out there will just use graph names in the way Guus describes it below, whether we like it or not, whether we condone it in the specification or not. Consequently, to ignore that usage pattern in the primer is really just burying our head in the sand; we can bet that many books, tutorials, etc, will do it independently of what we say. Better make it explicit in our primer with a caveat (ie, Note) we can agree on.

> - We are happy to consider other examples. Please suggest.
> - We're happy to include other/updated caveats

Personally, I am fine with what is below, but I am also fine with stronger caveats if necessary.

Ivan

> Current phrasing included below. Text suggestions very much appreciated!
>
> Guus
>
> From https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-primer/index.html#subsection-multiple-graphs :
>
> [[
> We can write down triples that include a graph name, for example:
>
>  <http://example.org/bob> <is published by> <http://example.org>.
>  <http://example.org/bob> <has license>
>      <http://creativecommons.org/licenses /by/3.0/>.
>
> These two triples could be interpreted as license and provenance information of the graph http://example.org/bob.
>
> NOTE
> RDF does not define the way in which the graph name and the graph are related. It is therefore up to application developers to decide how to interpret such triples.
> ]]

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead