Re: RDF 1.1 Primer

Pat,

I still owed you responses to comments on Sec. 6 Semantics

Guus

On 22-11-13 20:51, Pat Hayes wrote:

[..]

> Semantics.
>
> "This document takes a logical stance on RDF graphs". Remove this
> comment. It suggests that the 'stance' is somehow local to the
> Semantics document. The 'stance' is not taken by the document, but by
> the entire RDF spec.

Removed.

> I think it would be best in the primer just to say that RDF and RDFS
> (and OWL, and maybe other) vocabularies have a defined semantics
> which supports a range of entailment patterns (rules) that can be
> used to derive new information by deduction. And then just talk about
> those patterns, as you do with the Alice/range/person example,
> without mentioning semantics again.

I think the revised text now does this, taking about the existence of
different entailment regimes and deferring the rest.

> (After reading some recent email
> threads: you might want to emphasise that these patterns can be used
> without needing to dereference the IRIs in the triples. Apparently
> some newbies find this very hard to understand.)

Not sure how to fit that in. Best would be some foo/bar example, but I
couldn't think of a proper way to phrase it without creating confusion.
  Suggestions would be very welcome. No change for now.

> Issue 7: No. If you want to mention combining graphs, do it earlier.
> It is not a particularly semantic issue. I think that all that needs
> be said is that RDF allows you to combine triples from any source
> into a graph and process it as legal RDF.

OK. Removed the issue and will include a statement of that type in the
RDF Data section.

> Issue 8: It is not Semantics that views graphs this way, all of RDF
> does. So if you want to mention it, say it earlier and don't link it
> explicitly to semantics.

Issue removed without further action.

Thanks again for all the comments, very helpful!

Guus