Re: What cool stuff have we done?

On 4/8/13 9:09 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Tomorrow evening [1] I'm presenting about all the cool new stuff in
> RDF 1.1.   What should I put on the list?   (I'll also be doing this
> in June at SemTech.)
>
> Here are the things I can think of, that I can say proudly to this
> audience, which I think has lots of SPARQL experience and some OWL
> experience:
>
> - Turtle now meticulously defined, with extensive test suite (will be
> joining RDF/XML and RDFa as "Recommended" syntax for RDF)
> - Turtle no longer sometimes needs a space before the period

Turtle aids demystification of RDF, SPARQL, and Linked Data. It serves
the broadest user profile range which extends from basic end-users all
the way up to programmers. In a nutshell, it also brings the file
create, save, and publish pattern to Linked Data deployment. You don't
need to own a domain, control an Web Server, or master content
negotiation and re-write rules, in order to get going with the
deployment of Linked Data.

> - JSON-LD allows nice-looking JSON to be read/written as RDF (another
> "Recommended" syntax for RDF)

It makes RDF more palatable to to JSON programmers.

> - standard way to replace blank nodes with IRIs (genid)

Why bring this up at all (unless prompted by your audience) ?

> - rdf:HTML datatype provides a practical way to put HTML fragments in RDF
> - plain literals (w/o lang) and xs:string literals are now the same thing
> - sparql's named graph / dataset model is now clarified and part of RDF
> - trig provides a syntax for datasets (collections of separable graphs)
> - in general, documents are being rewritten to be simpler and clearer
> - for now, see http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/

Yes, abstract syntax and concepts guide is a massive improvement. All
participants be praised for their effort here, it's major progress!!

> What am I missing?   What else are you really pleased about or proud
> that we've done?   I only have 20 minutes, so I think the above list,
> with one slide per item, is about the right length.

If you can demystify RDF in 20 minutes on the back of Turtle, JSON-LD,
and a much improved abstract syntax and concepts guide, you will have
totally over achieved :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen