Re: in...of syntax Re: Turtle Last Call: Request for Review

As DanBri said in the same email:

 > If (a) it could be done identically in SPARQL 1.1 and Turtle (b) it
 > was done with punctuation (e.g. ^) rather than pseudo-English, i'd be
 > supportive.

The deviation he referred to was syntactical, using "in ... of" rather
than ^. As I understand it, Dan can of course confirm.

> This WG has been trying to move Turtle and SPARQL closer together.
>
> One is a syntactic transformation (Turtle), the other is part of the
> mechanism for pattern matching, so they need explaining differently.
> SPARQL ^ is much more general.
>
> And hence,
>
> SPARQL Update does not support ^:p in INSERT DATA
>
> because it's not a matching operation.

Yes, because Turtle is a syntax, and SPARQL is a query language (as you
well know), that deviation is already there, the two are different specs
for different purposes, however can and do share some syntax. For
example: Do we have TURTLE Update? or Turtle ?s, or Turtle SELECT? or
Turtle ASK? No because it's not a querying language, and it doesn't
require a matching operation.

Best,

Nathan