Re: Comments on RDFa Core 1.1 Working Draft

On 11/01/12 16:28, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2012, at 17:15 , Andy Seaborne wrote:
>

>> On 11/01/12 13:34, David Wood wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This message records my comments on RDFa Core 1.1 WD dated 15 Dec
>>> 2011 [1].  This review completes my action from the RDF WG [2].
>>>
>>> I was pleased to see the RDFa Core WD refer to IRIs in place of URIs.
>>> This will ease transition of the RDF documents to using IRIs and not
>>> require a revisiting of the RDFa Core document.  However, there are
>>> still several places in the document that refer to URIs (even when
>>> not in direct relation to CURIEs); those should be revisited for
>>> consistency.
>>>
>>> Most of the RDFa Core WD discusses syntactical issues.  As such, I
>>> (and hopefully the RDF WG) are agnostic.  I agree with Ivan that we
>>> should think of RDFa 1.1 as "just" another standard RDF serialization
>>> syntax.
>>
>> One nearly-syntactic issue from RDF 1.1 is plain literals/xsd:string and rdf:langString.
>
> This was actually discussed in the RDFa WG. But the problem is that this is not yet a standard, only part of an editor's draft in RDF. It would not be appropriate for the RDFa WG to use something that would be a draft only...

Great - as long as it's on the radar. We've mentioned it before and I
think if they use our proposed compatibility story is OK.

	Andy

> Ivan
>

>>> However, we don't want to encounter any syntax or usage patterns
>>> within RDFa that results in a conflation of IRIs for both resource
>>> names and resource contents, as with SPARQL's named graphs.  This is
>>> especially important to the RDF WG, given our resolutions related to
>>> this problem in SPARQL:
>>
>> This should include pointers to what your talking about.
>>
>> I would suggest
>>
>> (SPARQL 1.0)
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#sparqlDataset
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#namedGraphs
>>
>> but they do not back up using the word "conflate" which comes more from common practice.
>>
>>> - At the RDF WG's first FTF [3], we resolved, "Named Graphs in SPARQL
>>> associate IRIs and graphs *but* they do not necessarily "name" graphs
>>> in the strict model-theoretic sense. A SPARQL Dataset does not
>>> establish graphs as referents of IRIs (relevant to ISSUE-30)".
>>> ISSUE-30 is at [4].
>>>
>>> The RDFa Core WD refers to RDF Concepts in relation to graph
>>> definition (sec. 3.7) [5].  This is very helpful and will allow us to
>>> update RDF Concepts as required.  However, there is possibly a
>>> confusion between a graph's name (a g-snap) and its contents at a
>>> point in time (a g-text) in RDFa Core, depending on the
>>> interpretation of the base IRI.
>>
>> Minor: "its contents"
>>
>> I read it as "its" refers to the graph, and so its "contents" risk mixing the contents of a graph container (g-box) and the graph (g-snap - contents are triples as it is a set of triples).
>>
>> Suggest: "its representation" (AWWW term).
>>
>>> The RDFa Core WD, section 7.2 [6] specifies the base IRI of a
>>> document this way: "The base. This will usually be the IRI of the
>>> document being processed, but it could be some other IRI, set by some
>>> other mechanism, such as the (X)HTML base element. The important
>>> thing is that it establishes an IRI against which relative paths can
>>> be resolved."
>>>
>>> That means, to me at least, that the base IRI is often going to be
>>> the *same as* the document IRI, thus resulting in conflation of
>>> denotation of the graph and the document.
>>
>> FWIW: I read the RDFa doc as restating the usual handling of base IRIs.
>>

>>> I don't think that needs to change in the RDFa Core document, but it
>>> does mean that our named graphs discussion should take note.  The
>>> following RDF WG issues relate (and possibly more):
>>>
>>> - ISSUE-14 "What is a named graph and what should we call it?" [7] -
>>> ISSUE-15 "What is the relationship between the IRI and the triples in
>>> a dataset/quad-syntax/etc" [8] - ISSUE-17 "How are RDF datasets to be
>>> merged?" [9] - ISSUE-29 "Do we support SPARQL's notion of "default
>>> graph"?" [10] - especially ISSUE-32 "Can we identify both g-boxes and

>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2011-04-14 [4]
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/30 [5]
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-rdfa-core-20111215/#graphs [6]
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/17 [10]