Re: Three solution designs to the first three Graphs use cases

On 01/05/2012 03:13 PM, Guus Schreiber wrote:
> On 04-01-2012 19:45, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> While it's fresh in my mind, let me write down the view I came to during
>> today's telecon.   (And, carry it a bit farther.)  Guus, I don't know if
>> you still want to write up your understanding of it, or if this obviates
>> your action.
>
> Sandro,
>
> Very clear, thanks for this (and I indeed see no more need for my action).
>
> I understand why you like third solution. However, it means we have to
> come up with a name-to-graph relation vocabulary.

Why so? We can suggest some useful predicates, as Sandro did in his
example, but in the end, people will use whichever predicate they want.

> I don't think we're in
> a a position to standardize that. Also, it means we have to introduce
> new syntax and thus invalidate/deprecate/mark as archaic/...  the
> current quad stores out there.

Not if we state how they relate to the new syntax (as syntactic sugar,
as suggested by Sandro).

> That would not be in the spirit of our
> charter.

> The first solution (your TriG/REST) has the advantage of being the most
> conservative extension, i.e. providing a hook for explicating
> name-to-graph semantics without enforcing it.

I sympathize with Andy's concern:
> I think we should not fix a semantics for undeclared relationships.
> Otherwise, it invalidates existing TriG documents which don't exactly
> follow the TriG/ABC definition.

and Trig/REST does fix a semantics.

I think the only way out would be to define a very loose predicate
(rdf:hasRelatedGraph ?). This makes it impossible to infer much from any
Trig file, but at least it does not break any of them.

  pa