Re: Minimal dataset semantics

Antoine,

On 24 Aug 2012, at 17:15, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> However, we could as well make the graph extension be a function from IRIs to RDF Graphs (let us call it IRI-GEXT) instead of a function from resources to RDF Graphs (let us call it RES-GEXT).
>
> With RES-GEXT, the following:
>
> <ex:bob>  owl:sameAs  <eg:bob> .
> <ex:bob> { <ex:bob> <name> "Robert Doe" .
>           <x>  owl:sameAs  <y> }
> <eg:bob> { <eg:bob> <name> "Robert Doe" .
>           <x>  owl:differentFrom  <y> }
>
> is inconsistent. The problem is, perhaps ex:bob and eg:bob really refer to the same thing, and the dataset is using the scheme "graph IRI denotes primary topic" which we agreed is an acceptable scheme. Yet, here, the semantics with RES-GEXT does not allow to separate the inferences of the two graphs.
> This problem does not occur with IRI-GEXT.

I see this as a fairly minor distinction.

Yes, if you use the “graph IRI denotes primary topic” convention and put “owl:sameAs” triples into the default graph, then the two graphs will be semantically merged and you cannot keep their inferences apart. I can live with that.

I prefer RES-GEXT because it is clearer about what the graph IRIs denote. IRI-GEXT doesn't tell us anything about what the graph IRIs denote. RES-GEXT says that the graph IRIs denote some entity with a graph extension. This would make it more natural to say (in semantic extensions, not in core RDF Semantics) things like: “The graph extension of any RDF document published on the web is the RDF graph encoded in the document.” Or: “An RDF graph is itself a resource, and it has itself as its graph extension.”

These things *can* be said using IRI-GEXT too, but require one more step of indirection (at least with the mental model I currently have in my head.)

(This discussion is a nice example for the subtle differences that arise from the choice of formalisation, and why saying nothing about dataset semantics might end up being a bad idea: Different users of datasets will make their own and often incompatible assumptions.)

> here is a possible formalisation of this.
> Let us assume an entailment regime E.
> A dataset-interpretation is an E-interpretation I plus a function GEXT from the set of IRIs to the set of RDF Graphs.
> For a dataset D = (DG,(n1,G1),...,(nk,Gk)),
> - for an IRI n and a graph G, I(n,G) is true iff there exists a graph G' such that (n,G') is in GEXT and G' E-entails G;

I guess for RES-GEXT, this line would be changed to: ...such that (I(n),G') is in GEXT... ?

> - if I(G) is false, then I(D) is false;

I think you mean: if I(DG) is false...?

> - if I(ni,Gi) is false for some i, then I(D) is false;
> - I(D) is true otherwise.
>
> Nice, concise, and achieve essentially the same as my initial dataset semantics.

+1

Best,
Richard