Re: A rant about the terminology debate

Le 24/08/2012 18:09, Sandro Hawke a écrit :
> On 08/24/2012 07:32 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Sandro,
>>
>> How would you map g-box, g-snap, and g-text in formal relational DBMS
>> terminology? Such a mapping would help many. Basically, mapping to
>> relations, sets of tuples, and notation.
>>

> I'm not really fluent in RDBMS theory terminology. I do know the
> terminology database app developers use, though, I think -- the kind of
> stuff you find in the Oracle or MySQL manuals (talking about "tables"
> instead of "relations"). In that terminology, I'd say:
>
> g-box: table (or view)
> g-snap: dump of a table (or view)
> g-snap: not something one normally deals with; either:
> - a state of a table; or
> - a value which is the set of all the rows in a table.
>
> This is more of an analogy than a real correspondence, since a table row
> is not the same thing as an RDF triple, in general. (You could make a
> Subject/Property/Value table, but the data typing of the value wouldn't
> work right, in general.)

RDF Graphs (aka g-snaps) represent the abstract structure on which RDF
systems work. For relational databases, the abstract structure is more
complex as you can't separate the data from the schema.

A possible correspondence would be:

RDF Graph <-> Relation
Set of triples <-> Multiset of tuples
RDF Dataset <-> Collection of relation (a database?)

What's funny is that in the world of relational databases, they've been
using über-overloaded words like "relation", "view", "table", "schema"
for decades without problem. Especially, we at least use the word
"graph" paired with "RDF" to define unambiguously "RDF graph", while in
relational algebra, the concept called "relation" is not even
disambiguised with a qualifier. But it works and nobody complains.

 From the point of view of experts in relational DBs, we probably look
ridiculous with our battle on terminology. People using RDBs don't even
care about the names of the abstract concepts, they use "table" and
"row" because tuples and relations look like rows and tables when
displayed. In the RDF world, people don't care about the names of the
abstract structure and use the word "graph" alone because RDF graphs
look like graphs when displayed. And it is perfectly fine!

I'm 100% with Richard on this issue and I propose that we make the
following resolution:
  1. if a term is normatively defined by RDF 1.0, we adopt it for RDF
1.1 without any change;
  2. if a term is normatively defined by SPARQL and we want to put the
concept in RDF 1.1, we adopt it without any change;
  3. for all terms that do not have a normative definition yet in either
RDF or SPARQL, we leave the discussion open to settle on a term.

By the way, g-snaps are called RDF graphs in the normative specs.
Refusing to use the official terms is what brings confusion,
ambiguities, etc. It brings the impression that we are talking about
distinct concepts, when in fact, it's all about sets of triples. In
fact, I'm less sure what g-snap means in people's mouth than I know what
RDF graph means.

In any case, if there is a proposal to rename "RDF Graph" with another
term, I'll vote against it and do whatever it takes to have the proposal
rejected. Remember that we have formally resolved that g-snap shall be
called "RDF Graph". A formal resolution is not something that should be
taken lightly, IMO. If the chosen terms for g-* are not ok, there should
be another formal resolution.

--AZ.

--
Antoine Zimmermann