Re: RDF dataset semantics again

On 08/23/2012 05:57 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

>>> Yes, the syntax is not really practical.
>>>

>> Indeed. But, yes, it's a nice way to think about the semantics. I
>> understood it to be a way the WG was not okay with.
>

> My impression was that the group found the idea reasonable, possibly
> appealing, but due to a total absence of implementation of this
> solution, and no experience with it thereby, it was not a good idea to
> standardise such a thing.

I don't recall hearing that, but it makes sense.

>> One bit that doesn't quite work is that some of the use cases require
>> blank nodes to be shared between named graphs. That would be rather
>> strange with this literal-strings model.
>

> It is in principle possible to define the datatype such that the value
> space is not exactly the set of RDF Graphs, but rather "RDF Graphs
> where some bnodes can be labelled". The bnode labels are made disjoint
> from URIs, so they can be distinguished apart from normal names, but
> they would not be purely local to the graph.

I'm not sure you'd need to change the value space.   Existing (2004)
g-snaps can share bnodes, it's just the way the syntaxes are parsed
doesn't currently allow one to indicate that.     So, those
graphs-in-quotes would have to be parsed as some new kind of thing -- a
document-fragments, instead of a document.     A little problem, IMHO,
not a big one.

IMHO we should at some point sketch out this solution and its
isomorphism to whatever we settle on.    Maybe not actually assign a
vocabulary to it, lest people use it and not be interoperable.
Alternatively, it might be the way RDF/XML folks play in the named-graph
space.   (That's a Time Permitting deliverable in our charter.)

     -- Sandro