Re: A radical proposal.

On 8/20/12 10:39 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

>> >Well, to be clear, it is a representation of an RDF graph, isn't it?
> Maybe we are at another terminology cliff here. The document is the thing I edit and store, and you http-poke, and you get back a REST-representation of it in the form of a byte stream. You don't actually get my document. My document is the resource. Just like HTML, where I edit an HTML document and store it on a server and call it a web page, and your HTTP GET gets a copy of it to take away as its representation. Right?
>
> Pat

Maybe this helps, if we just add the fact the HTTP (an other network
oriented protocols) extend scope of a file to the network.

" Files are uniformly regarded as consisting of a stream of bytes; the
system makes no assumptions as to their contents. Thus the structure of
files is controlled solely by the programs which read and write them. A
file of ASCII text, for example, consists simply of a stream of
characters delimited by the new-line characters. The notion of physical
record is fairly well submerged." -- Dennis Ritchie

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO