Re: Need for a canonical byte stream for an RDF graph

On 2011-06-28, at 01:31, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> On 6/27/2011 4:07 PM, Steve Harris wrote:
>>
>> You can only verify the signature of the graph at request time, but at that time you have access to the canonical byte stream anyway.
>>

> why can you only verify at that point?

In our case because that's all we needed, and it's most efficient.

> Let's suppose we want an audit trail? For documents with a multi-million dollar value (current TQ customer requirement!)

Then you would also need to archive the original byte steam.

FWIW, our internal RDF documents also have a multi-million dollar value, but they don't require signatures at runtime, luckily. For one thing it would be impractical as they change thousands of times a second, and are huge. We do sign the periodic backups however.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK