Re: [Turtle] N-Triples Prime First Editors Draft

On 29/08/11 16:17, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2011, at 13:26, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> The content type suggested is:
>>
>>   text/ntriples+turtle
>>
>> but text defaults to ASCII.
>
> It defaults to ISO-8859-1 to be precise.

it is all a bit messy:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt

section 4.1.2:
"""
The default character set, which
must be assumed in the absence of a charset parameter, is US-ASCII.
"""
but the example is ISO-8859-1

ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 diverge.

and as you note text/html:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt
[text/html]
section 6 discusses the mix up

> So it would need the same handling as Turtle and N3, which require “;charset=utf-8” appended to the media type.
>
> There is ongoing work in IETF to change the default for text/*:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-mime-default-charset-01
>
> But I don't know anything about the status of that work, or how likely it is to become official, or at what timeframe.
>
>> N-triples is less readable than Turtle and more directed to machine processing.
>>
>>   application/n-triples+turtle
>>
>> seems more appropriate and allows the default charset to be UTF-8.
>
> RFC 2046 has this to say about the text/* types:
>
> [[
> In the absence of appropriate interpretation software, it is reasonable to show subtypes of "text" to the user, while it is not reasonable to do so with most nontextual data.
> ]]
>
> While it says this about application/*:
>
> [[
> This is information which must be processed by an application before it is viewable or usable by a user.
> ]]
>
> Also, application/* subtypes unknown to an implementation MUST be treated as binary data.
>
> In practical terms, opening text/* in a browser causes it to be displayed, while opening application/* causes it to be downloaded. (At least in my browser of choice; I don't know how others behave.)
>
> There's mixed precedent. JSON uses application/*, HTML uses text/*, CSV uses text/*.

:-|