Re: JSON Emergency Brake

On 2011-08-23, at 17:33, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> On 8/23/2011 9:05 AM, Thomas Steiner wrote:
>>> You are saying that the wrong people might look at RDF/JSON and they might think it's meant for them. I think the correct response to that is *not* to stop working on RDF/JSON, but to make sure that the messaging around the format does not create the impression that it's targeted at them.
>> +1 to that argument. Still not sure it causes less confusion.
>
> -1
>
> There seems to be agreement that RDF/JSON is targetted at RDF geeks not JSON developers.
> RDF geeks are *not* an interesting target audience. If this WG can do anything that makes the life of JSON developers a little easier (e.g. by not recommending two JSON formats), then a tiny improvement is worth a large cost for RDF geeks.
>
> If we are successful there will be say 10,000,000 such JSON developers vs 1,000 RDF geeks, of whom maybe 200 want to do JSON, and 100 don't get JSON/LD. These guys then have to pay $100,000 for each $1 of discomfort to the average JSON developer who has to deal with some RDF because RDF is as ubiquitous as HTML.  It is then a simple utility maximization problem to stop this work. If we are not successful then the work shouldn't be done anyway.

I am pretty sympathetic to this viewpoint. RDF developers already have Turtle and N-Triples which can be pretty efficiently* parsed in Javascript, and worked with easily - should you want triples in your application for some crazy reason ;)

- Steve

* modulo the no UTF-8 in N-Triples issue, which makes parsing internationalised data in javascript more expensive than it should be.

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK