From: gavin@topquadrant.com
To: alan.wu@oracle.com
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 2:05:11 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: looks like it should be turtle Re: Oracle's stand regarding N-TRIPLES

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Zhe Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> I just did a quick test against that
>
> http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-1/nn.nt
>
> If we read the file as NTRIPLES, then raptor complains.
>
> raptor2-1.9.0/utils/rapper -i ntriples ./tests/iso639-1-nn.nt -o ntriples >
> /tmp/rapper.nt_readAsNTRIPLES
> lt-rapper: Parsing URI file:///...iso639-1-nn.nt with parser ntriples
> lt-rapper: Serializing with serializer ntriples
> lt-rapper: Error - URI file:///...iso639-1-nn.nt:5 column 101 -
> Non-printable ASCII character 195 (0xC3) found.

Correct, raptor does not implement UTF-8 handling of N-Triples.

> lt-rapper: Parsing returned 16 triples
>

> If we read the file as Turtle, everything seems fine.
>
> raptor2-1.9.0/utils/rapper -i turtle ./tests/iso639-1-nn.nt -o ntriples >
> /tmp/rapper.nt_readAsTurtle
> lt-rapper: Parsing URI file:///...iso639-1-nn.nt with parser turtle
> lt-rapper: Serializing with serializer ntriples
> lt-rapper: Parsing returned 76 triples
>
> As far as I can tell, LOC is serving turtle.  That filename is slightly
> confusing.

Nope, the mime type is clearly text/plain and if we look at the HTML
version of that resource http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-1/nn.html
we see it naming the link N-Triples.

Of course as you point out an N-Triples (UTF-8) file can be considered
to be a subset of Turtle.

--Gavin