Re: [Graphs] Proposal: RDF Datasets

Yves,

To answer your concern about readability: indeed, such embedding of RDF
serialization as a literal is not ideal in Turtle of RDF/XML (not to
mention N-Triples...). This is where alternate syntaxes such as Trig or
N3 can prove useful. But the important point is to show that we can keep
the *abstract* syntax as is.

To answer your concern about modifying the parser behaviour: if we are
strictly considering parsing, there is absolutely nothing new parsers
must do. What *may* need to be changed are inference engines. For
example, given:

  <my-graph> rdf:xml-serialization "[str1]", "[str2]" .

an inference engine might want to check whether [str1] and [str2] are
valid RDF/XML serialization, and if they indeed encode the same graph --
else the statements above would be inconsistent. But this does not have
to be *requited*, see below.

To answer your concern about supported formats: we already have that
problem with datatypes: depending on your inference capabilities, you
may or may not be able to detect that "foo"^^xsd:int makes no sense.
Rdf-mt already defines several "levels" of entailments;
"serialization-entailment" could be defined that way.

To answer your question about "scoping" of declaration: as the proposal
is at the abstract syntax level (sorry if that was not clear enough on
the wiki), there can be no syntactical "communication" between the
embedding and the embedded graph; the value of rdf:*-serialization has
to be self-sufficient (and not require any off-band context, such as an
implicit base URI).

  pa