Re: language-tagged literal datatypes

Thanks Pat for this very nice synthesis,

may I propose a variant of Option 3, which main advantage is to keep the
datatype model intact, but which seems to bug most people because of the
infinite number of URIs it generates.

Option 3a. All literals have a type.  Each language tag defines a
datatype which is unique to that tag, and whose L2V mapping takes a
string and produces a language-tagged string tagged with that
particular tag. These datatypes are conventional but are anonymous:
they do not have any standard URI. These would all be subclasses of
rdf:LangString. DATATYPE("foo"@en) returns rdf:LangString, as it is
the most specific URI for describing its actual datatype;
LANG("foo"@en) returns "en".

Note that I removed the part stating that "rdf:LangString is not itself
a datatyp". If we keep it, we have the oddity of DATATYPE() returning a
non-datatype. But can't we arrange to keep it as a datatype anyway? I
must say I am not sure what DT1 subclassof DT2 implies if DT2 is a
datatype...

  pa