Re: Improving EXISTS

Gregg Kellogg
gregg@greggkellogg.net

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 8:58 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The tests contributed by Peter and the discussions around them show that there are bugs in the spec.
>
> The RDF Shapes working group uses EXISTS and also uses "pre-binding" which is a form of parameterized query(*) in SHACL [1] and the EXISTS mechanism is related to parametrization.
>
> W3C process for corrections to recognized generally to be inflexible. It is normally to wait for the next WG to run and end which is a multiyear cycle - that does not fit with the RDF Shapes WG timescale.
>
> A suggestion (from Arnaud Le Hors / RDF Shapes chair, as well as other people) is to use the Community Group mechanism to build consensus in the SPARQL community, including implementers and users.

+1, I think this is an outstanding idea. the RDF Tests CG is not the best place to suggest updates to existing specs, only to curate tests that were missing/wrong, or to support such parallel initiatives.

> Community Groups can publish reports. These are not W3C standards. They do provide a way to record consensus or alternatives. This could be used to supplement the SPARQL errata process [2].
>
> Whether that is a specific CG for this one task, or using "RDF Tests" is a matter of refinement - for me, I prefer which ever one looks like it creates the better community.

A CG is really easy to spin up, and IMO is the way to go given sufficient interest by experts interested in resolving this problem.

Gregg