Re: RDF's relative IRI resolution is ambiguous

> On Sep 5, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 04/09/15 12:44, William Waites wrote:
>> I agree that long term curation and maintenance of test suites is a
>> good idea. I wonder if it is wise to rely in the long term on Github
>> -- who knows how long it will live, it's a private company, etc. It
>> might be better for the source code repositories to live at the W3C.
>>
>> -w
>>
>> --
>> William Waites <wwaites@tardis.ed.ac.uk>  |  School of Informatics
>>    http://tardis.ed.ac.uk/~wwaites/       | University of Edinburgh
>>          https://hubs.net.uk/             |      HUBS AS60241

> [Tried the CG mail list but got "550 Unrouteable address”]

I was able to send a message to the list (cc’d again on this message). Next week we can drum up more support with targeted messages to RDF and SPARQL lists and make a plan.

> Valid concern.
>
> We can start now on github and make sure we have a plan.

Eric suggested this, where we use URLs on w3.org (presumably redirects from the existing test suite locations) and redirect to GitHub. That gives us control if GitHub goes away, or a better alternative comes. Obviously, we’ll need some support from W3C staff for this to work. We do this now for the CSV on the Web Test suite (http://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/tests/), and it works pretty well.

One probably with putting tests on GitHub is the inability to set HTTP headers; this is used by the JSON-LD tests, but those are hosted on a different server, with push-receive updates from GitHub. If someone were able to host such a service for tests at large, this might be another intermediate.

> A simple one would be to have CG reports which are releases of github
> work (or even just a dated copy).

Yes, i think using gh-pages for the released version of test suites, with branches for things which are in development, allows for reasonable curation. A release can then coincide with a report.

Gregg