Re: [rdf-star] multi-level embedded triples and quoted vs. asserted

Dear Pierre-Antoine,

good answer!

I came to pretty much the same conclusions as you did, but I also have another solution using an occurrence-like predicate as in section 2.3 of [1], as follows (I, too, inverted the direction so as to make the quoted triples the subject and not the object of readBy, readOn, knownBy and heardBy):

Case 1
------

_:c1 :occurrenceOf << :dan :adores :eve>> .

_:c2 :occurrenceOf << _:c1 :readBy :cindy >> .
_:c3 :occurrenceOf << _:c1 :readOn :email >> .
_:c4 :occurrenceOf << _:c1 :readOn :paper >> .

_:c5 :occurrenceOf << _:c2 :knownBy :bob >> .
_:c6 :occurrenceOf << _:c3 :knownBy :bob >> .
_:c7 :occurrenceOf << _:c4 :knownBy :bob >> .

_:c5 :heardBy :alice.
_:c6 :heardBy :alice.
_:c7 :heardBy :alice.

Case 2
------

:dan :adores :eve.

_:c1 :occurrenceOf << :dan :adores :eve>> .
_:c1 :readBy :cindy;
     :readOn :email, :paper.

_:c2 :occurrenceOf << _:c1 :readBy :cindy >> .
_:c3 :occurrenceOf << _:c1 :readOn :email >> .
_:c4 :occurrenceOf << _:c1 :readOn :paper >> .

_:c2 :knownBy :bob.
_:c3 :knownBy :bob.
_:c4 :knownBy :bob.

_:c5 :occurrenceOf << _:c2 :knownBy :bob >> .
_:c6 :occurrenceOf << _:c3 :knownBy :bob >> .
_:c7 :occurrenceOf << _:c4 :knownBy :bob >> .

_:c5 :heardBy :alice.
_:c6 :heardBy :alice.
_:c7 :heardBy :alice.

Would it work?

[1] https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star/cg-spec/editors_draft.html

--

Also, your second solution uses named graphs.

> Another way to model this would be to *name* the set of beliefs of bob:
>
> :alice :heard << :bob :knew :sb >> .
> :sb :triples (
>     << :cindy :read << :dan :adores :eve >> >>
>     << << :cindy :read << :dan :adores :eve >> >> :from :email123 >>
>     << << :cindy :read << :dan :adores :eve >> >> :from :paper456 >>
> ).
>
> This can be seen as an RDF-star-encoded named graph.

I still believe that an evolution of rdf-star to include non-asserted named graphs would be useful and timely.

For instance conjectures [2]

Case 1 - using conjectures - strong form
A conjecture is a special named graph whose content is NOT asserted.

CONJECTURE :c1 {
   :dan :adores :eve.
}

CONJECTURE :c2 {
   :c1 :readBy :cindy;
       :readOn :email, :paper.
}

CONJECTURE :c3 {
   :c2 :knownBy :bob.
}

:c3 :heardBy :alice.

 I am using name graphs for grouping and identifiers, and adding the CONJECTURE keyword to mention that the content of the graphs is NOT asserted. This corresponds to a fully RDF-compliant representation in weak form using just ONE more triple per non-asserted predicate:

Case 1 - using conjectures - weak form
--------------------------------------

In the weak form any conjectured predicate is replaced by a newly minted predicate which is then said to be a conjectural form of the original predicate. Thus for instance predicate c1:adores is NOT :adores, but it is a conjectural form of it easily associatable to it. Similarly all the others. Thus we obtain:

GRAPH :c1 {
   :dan c1:adores :eve.

   c1:adores conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :adores.
}

GRAPH :c2 {
   :c1  c2:readBy :cindy;
        c2:readOn :email, :paper.

   c2:readBy conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :readBy.
   c2:readOn conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :readOn.
}

GRAPH :c3 {
   :c2 c3:knownBy :bob.

   c3:knownBy conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :knownBy.
}
:c3 :heardBy :alice.

Case 2 - using conjectures - strong form
A collapsed conjecture is a special named graph whose content is both conjectured AND asserted at the same time. It is similar but not identical to annotated statements in rdf-star.

COLLAPSED CONJECTURE :c1 {
   :dan :adores :eve.
}

COLLAPSED CONJECTURE :c2 {
   :c1 :readBy :cindy;
       :readOn :email, :paper.
}

COLLAPSED CONJECTURE :c3 {
   :c2 :knownBy :bob.
}
:c3 :heardBy :alice.

This corresponds to a fully RDF-compliant representation in weak form.

Case 2 - using conjectures - weak form
--------------------------------------

In the weak form any collapsed graph is replaced with two graphs, one corresponding to the conjectural graph and the other reasserting the conjectured triples (with the original predicate) and connecting it to the conjectural one (with the conj:collapses predicate), thus obtaining a fully compliant RDF.1. dataset:

GRAPH :c1 {
   :dan c1:adores :eve.

   c1:adores conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :adores.
}
GRAPH :cc1 {
   :dan :adores :eve.

   :cc1 conj:collapses :c1.
}

GRAPH :c2 {
   :c1  c2:readBy :cindy;
        c2:readOn :email, :paper.

   c2:readBy conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :readBy.
   c2:readOn conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :readOn.
}
GRAPH :cc2 {
   :c1  :readBy :cindy;
        :readOn :email, :paper.

   :cc2 conj:collapses :c2.
}

GRAPH :c3 {
   :c2 c3:knownBy :bob.

   c3:knownBy conj:isAConjecturalFormOf :knownBy.
}
GRAPH :cc3 {
   :c2 :knownBy :bob.

   :cc3 conj:collapses :c3.