Re: Blog post about "Provenance in RDF-star"

Hi Kingsley

On 26/01/2022 22:42, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 1/26/22 3:34 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> following a discussion during our two last calls, I published a post
>> about "Provenance in RDF-star":
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/community/rdf-dev/2022/01/26/provenance-in-rdf-star/

>> quoting the intro:
>>
>> > In this post, we present some lessons learned by the group through
>> discussions and exchanges. This is meant to give some insight about
>> the rationale behind RDF-star, and some guidelines about how to best
>> use it for modeling provenance data.
>>
>> Many thanks to all the participants of the RDF-star group for their
>> reviews and feedback on this post.
>>
>>   pa
>>

> Hi Pierre-Antoine,
>
> An opening example in that blog post:
>
> PREFIX : <http://www.example.org/>
>
> << :employee38 :jobTitle "Assistant Designer" >>
>     :accordingTo :employee22, :employee38 ;
>     :confidence 0.8 .
>
> My variant using RDF as it exists.
>
> ## RDF-Turtle Start ##
>
> # PREFIX : <http://www.example.org/>
> PREFIX schema: <http://schema.org/>
> PREFIX : <#>
>
> [
>   :jobTitle "Assistant Designer" ;
>   schema:identifier :employee38  # if desired,
> inverse-functional-property semantics can be applied to the
> schema:identifier relation.
> ] :accordingTo :employee22, :employee38 ;
>   :confidence 0.8 .
>
> ## RDF-Turtle End ##
>
> What is the difference between both? Is it that your RDF-Star example
> expresses a statement (*utterance*) while mine expresses a fact
> (*proposition*)?

The answer to this question does not depend, in my view, on the use of
RDF-star vs. plain RDF, but it depends on the particular ontology you
are using. More specifically, what is the domain of :accordingTo and
:confidence? That's the answer to your question.

(although, in the RDF-star case, the answer might be a little
convoluted, as discussed with Antoine [1]; something like e.g.
":confidence links a triple to the confidence level we have in the
proposition made by this triple").$

The real difference that RDF-star makes, IMO, is that it provides
homogeneity between the things you talk about and the things you assert.
E.g:

   << :employee38 :jobTitle "Assistant Designer" >> :confidence 0.8.
   :employee22 :jobTitle "Senior Manager" {| :confidence 1.0 |}.

best

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2022Jan/0095.html