Re: multisets everywhere

Hi Thomas

A side note about what a statement states and what it doesn’t state
> (unrelated to what I said above, but as the topic came up in this thread
> recently): the much discussed example
>     <<:Burton :marriedTo :Taylor>> :start 1963; :end 1974 .
> can be read as
>     "Let’s assume a statement claiming a marriage relation between Burton
> and Taylor.
>     That marriage relation starts in 1963 and ends in 1974."
> That’s okay (ignoring for a moment the httpRange-14 issue, that start and
> end dates could also refer to the statement itself). The second sentence
> adds detail about which the first sentence makes no claim. It is important
> that properties are defined in a way that they welcome such additional
> information, not prohibit it. The design principle that no statement is
> allowed to alter the truth of another one OTOH also requires that no
> statement is allowed to forbid the addition of further detail by other
> statements. If we can’t rely on that we can forget about weaving a semantic
> web from disparate sources.

I'd say most of us on this thread agree by now that that statement is
improperly structured. Optional time and space positions, and other fixes I
suggested in my two previous messages, seem to solve the problem entirely
though. I guess you disagree?

*Asserted case:*
:Burton :marriedTo :Taylor 1964 1974
    {|
        :stated 2022
    |}

Expands to:

:Burton :marriedTo :Taylor 1964 1974
<< :Burton :marriedTo :Taylor 1964 1974 >> :stated 2022

*Unasserted case:*
<< :Burton :marriedTo :Taylor 1964 1974 >>
    {|
        :stated 2022
    |}

Expands to:

<< :Burton :marriedTo :Taylor 1964 1974 >> :stated 2022

Regards
Anthony