Re: Referential transparency and opacity

> I’m convinced that in general there doesn’t exist such a boundary.

Cheers Thomas, it's good to get your point of view.

Provenance is probably a good example.

So funny, because to me provenance is a good example of my point of view,
haha. If we all vary wildly on this, I think I might try to put my thoughts
in another thread to have a separate discussion there.

Quoting the quote from your second email, I assume it was meant for the
list:

"There is no useful distinction between the representational needs of data
> and metadata." - MCF - Guha, Bray - 6.6.1997 -
> https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-MCF-XML-970624/

Nice that you found other material about it. To me that quote means triples
can be used for both types, which I agree with, but I don't think it
addresses triples being applied to other triples, which is what RDF-star is
doing.

Anyway, on the original topic, does anybody else have thoughts about
supporting both referential transparency and referential opacity, rather
than just one of them?

Regards
Anthony