Re: drop referentially opaque semantics in embedded triples

On 11/05/2021 12:49, thomas lörtsch wrote:

>> On 10. May 2021, at 19:05, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/05/2021 16:20, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> An excellent description of the problems with referential opacity in embedded triples.   I agree wholeheartedly.  I particularly like the detailed investigation into the use cases.
>>> I also note that referential opacity works poorly for the annotation syntax (PG mode).  With referential opacity
>>> :berlin :population 3644826 {| :determination-method :statistical-updating |}
>>> does not entail
>>> :berlin :population 03644826 {| :determination-method :statistical-updating |}
>>> which I take to be completely unexpected.
>>> (I purposefully picked an example that did not need any external identity relationship.)
>>
>> The transparency/opaque language isn't that helpful for me;
>
> Well, you asked me a few months ago not to invent new terms. So I tried hard to use the terms that belong to the semantcs vocabulary when talking abot the semantics.
>
>> it is about binding and scoping.
>
> Let’s see if that really get’s to the gist of it.
>
>> In a programming language situation, a quoted expression is not the expression. It may capture context when written (lexical/static scoping - capture) or when executed (dynamic scoping).
>>
>> Graph :A asserts
>>
>>     :ship1 :name 'Happy Cat' .
>>
>> Graph :B reads :A and says
>>
>>     << :ship1 :name 'Happy Cat' >> :source :A .
>>     :ship1 :name 'Happy Cat'
>>     :ship1 owl:sameAs :ship2 .
>>
>> (yes - external information)
>>
>> Is A the source of ":ship2 :name 'Happy Cat'"?
>>
>> No - that is because later entailment of owl:sameAs was not "in-scope" at :A.
>
> Here is already the central issue: the answer could just as well be "Yes", not "No" as you suggest. In fact on the semantic web it should be Yes!
>
> In an application it might be No, depending on purpose and inclination.

Where does it say ":ship2 :name 'Happy Cat'"?

How can I write the proof chain that B can pass on, using transparent
references, that says what A asserted and B's additional conclusion?

Or by
> (and don’t forget they [semantics -ed] are meant to be used EVERYWHRE, not just for adding provenance annotations).
are you rejecting provenance?

Show me how that is done and I will be more comfortable with it.

Доверяй, но проверяй (trust but verify)

The question is "what did A assert?"
A never mentioned :ship2 at all.
B can not witness that.

B can decide what is likes in its graph.
It's a choice - not prescriptive.

Define :source as "triple asserted" (like the original RDF*).

Define :determination-method as "D-entailment permitted"

It is modelling that can state whether entailment is meaningful.

Annotation syntax is a helper for authoring.

:paper :author ("X" "Y" "Z") .

gives the impression

:paper :author "X" .

Maybe :author is defined like that or maybe not.

     Andy

(For fun: insert issues of signing linked graphs)