Re: From syntactic to interpreted triple

> On 21. Jan 2021, at 15:35, Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se> wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> You are raising an interesting point that I was also thinking about recently,
> and I believe I have a solution.
>
> First of all, regarding terminology, our groups' earlier discussions related
> to this topic used the terms "referential opacity" and "referential
> transparency" for what you call "syntactic triple" and "interpreted triple"
> now.
>
> The proposed semantics adopts referential opacity. From my understanding, in
> comparison to a semantics that adopts referential transparency, adopting
> referential opacity (as in the proposed semantics) is less restrictive in the
> sense that it does not rule out the possibility to use referential
> transparency for selected cases. In other words, by using referential opacity
> as a basis (i.e., for the semantics of RDF*), on top of this basis you may
> still define specific cases for which the additional nested triples may be
> derived that you would expect under referential transparency. In contrast, if
> referential transparency is used as a basis, which says that such additional
> nested triples can be derived for all cases, then it is not possible to define
> on top of this basis that there are cases for which the additional triples
> should actually not be derived. At least, that's what I had understood from my
> discussions with Pierre-Antoine and Dörthe (please feel free to confirm or
> correct me on this).

Seems to be the same understanding as mine.

> Given this understanding, you may indicate the cases in which you want to use
> referential transparency on top of a referential opacity semantics by using
> specific properties that you introduce for this purpose. For instance, you may
> introduce a property denoted by the URI ex:statedBy and define that
> referential transparency can be used for nested triples that have this
> property in their predicate position. This way, related to your example, if
> you have a nested triple
>
> <<:cars :are :bad>> ex:statedBy :Alice
>
> you can derive the following triple.
>
> <<:automobiles :are :bad>> ex:statedBy :Alice
>
> So, while the semantics of RDF* adopts referential opacity, you can build on
> it and define cases in which you want to have referential transparency.

But doesn’t this mean that in every case that you want to comment on a triple with referential transparency you have to define a new property with those specific semantics? That would seem like an outrageous demand to me.

And even then: how would you define such a property? It probably should be a subproperty of the property that you intend to use. That seems to need a new property like

 rdf*:isSubpropertyWithOpaqueSemanticsOf

or even

 rdf*:isSubpropertyWithOpaqueSemanticsInDomainOf
 rdf*:isSubpropertyWithOpaqueSemanticsInRangeOf
 rdf*:isSubpropertyWithOpaqueSemanticsInDomainAndRangeOf

as different embedded triples in subject and object position might have different semantics. So you’d get three subproperties per any property from any established vocabulary, right? Maybe not *all* of them but certainly not a few in between.

If this is indeed your proposal then I think you’ll have to come up with something better. Or please explain what you meant instead.

Thomas