Re: From syntactic to interpreted triple

> On 2/8/21 11:08 AM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:

>>> You appear to have been referring to the following exchange:

>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>> The argument here appears to be that a use case is covered if the semantics
>>> makes strictly fewer entailments than required by the use case.  I don't buy
>>> into that argument.
>> Ok, I read "is covered" as "can be addressed". Arguably this is a very weak
>> notion of "covering", and if Thomas's intent was instead "can be /entirely/
>> addressed", then I retract my remark.
>>
>> That being said, RDF itself has a very weak semantics, and there are very
>> few use-cases that "can be entirely addressed" without additional axioms,
>> rules, or other forms of additional knowledge about the vocabulary used in
>> the graph... I assumed that it was ok for RDF* to require such additional
>> knowledge.
>>
>> Conversely, I am concerned that some entailments may be not just
>> un-required, but undesired for some use-cases. If such entailments were
>> baked into the core semantics of RDF*, then such use-cases could not be
>> addressed at all, regardless of the addition of rules or axioms...
>>
>>> peter
>>>
> Not necessarily.   Mapping semantics for embedded triples can be "extended"
> from transparent to opaque by adding extra triples.

I see how that works in the definition of the mapping, i.e. at the
general level. But how do you locally add opacity to an embedded triple
if its default semantics is transparent?

Concretely, assuming that 1) embedded triples are defined to be
referentially transparent, and 2) C1 and C2 are two terms that are known
to denote the same thing (either because they are recognized literals
with the same value, or two IRIs marked as owl:sameAs under OWL-entailment).

Any triple of the form

   :s :p << :a :b C1 >>.

would entails

   :s :p << :a :b C2 >>.

correct?

So in my provenance use-case:

   # file1.ttl contains a triple with predicate :b and object C1 (and an
unspecified subject)
   <file1.ttl> :contains << [] :b C1 >>.

would automatically entail

   <file1.ttl> :contains << [] :b C2 >>.

which is a spurious inference (file1.ttl does not mention C2, only C1.

I don't see how this could be fixed by adding extra triples, given the
monotonicity of RDF semantics. Hence my claim that this this use-case
can not be addressed using transparent embedded triples.

What am I missing?