Re: From syntactic to interpreted triple

> On 5. Feb 2021, at 16:36, Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se> wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> (sorry for the late reply -- my day to day job again didn't allow me to spend
> time here in the mailing list)
>
> On lördag 23 januari 2021 kl. 18:55:47 CET thomas lörtsch wrote:
>>> On 23. Jan 2021, at 18:34, Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> I don't think so. Notice, that properties such as my example ex:statedBy
>>> are meant to be used in the predicate position of *nested* triples. In
>>> contrast, most existing properties are not meant to be used for this
>>> purpose (of course, there are exceptions such as, e.g., properties in the
>>> Dublin Core vocabulary).
>>
>> My second example below - me, travelling to Berlin on wednesday - is an
>> example of an n-ary relation as it is common to Property Graphs. This has
>> nothing to do with provenance and such. Absolutely any property can be used
>> in such a way.
>
> Would you use the ':on' property in that Berlin-travel example also in nested
> triples in which the embedded triple is meant to be referentially opaque?
> If yes, would that ':on' property really have the same meaning in both cases?
> (i.e., in the case in which the embedded triple is meant to be referentially
> transparent as in your Berlin-travel example and in the case in which the
> embedded triple is meant to be referentially opaque)
>
>> [...]
>>> First of all, as I already mentioned in my initial response to Thomas, if
>>> we use a referential-opacity semantics for RDF*, then there must be
>>> something in this data of yours that indicates that you want to use
>>> referential transparency for this particular case. In the following, I am
>>> assuming that the URI :claim is what gives the indication. More
>>> precisely, I am assuming that the meaning of the class denoted by this
>>> URI is as follows. Every embedded triple that is stated to be of rdf:type
>>> :claim is meant to be treated in terms of referential transparency.
>>
>> That won’t work either. You can’t just (require to) define new properties or
>> IRIs whenever referential transparency is needed. That would lead to a
>> balkanization of the semantic web - for what purpose? Right: to ensure that
>> the Superman problem can be solved efficiently. This is just ridiculous.
>>
>> You’ll probably have to provide a way similar to the one Pierre-Antoine
>> outlined for referencing occurrences because it’s the embedded triple that
>> plays different roles, not the other nodes in the assertion.
>
> You are saying it. The embedded triple plays different roles. What role it
> plays does not depend on the embedded triple itself but on the other nodes in
> the assertion (such as the property in the predicate position of the nested
> triple that contains the embedded triple).

No, it doesn’t. The example in question is the following:

It is easy to come up with scenarios where it is either important to record exactly which IRI was used to refer to :Berlin or where it is not important at all. The latter is most probably the normal case (and the proposed RDF* semantics doesn’t cover it). Let’s assume the destination is not Berlin but a city in the east of Ukraine and we exchange triples with someone in Kiev or Moscow. In this secanrio the date of the journey will not have an influence on which semantics we choose, so the property shouldn’t need to change.

As we all know on the semantic web the shared vocabularies have huge importance and took a lot of work to establish. You woud really have to come up up with much more substantial arguments to justify the need for their extension (just to cover the Superman use case, if I may repeat).

Thomas