From: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@ercim.eu>
Date: Friday, December 3, 2021 at 6:32 AM
To: "Lassila, Ora" <ora@amazon.com>, "public-rdf-star@w3.org" <public-rdf-star@w3.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] RDF-star use cases from Amazon Neptune

Ora,

thanks for these use-cases? Do you want to add an agenda item in today's call for discussing them?

Below are my 2¢ about this.

> RDF semantics (...) stipulate that a triple <s, p, o> is unique (...). In LPGs, however, no such restriction exists for edges.

I think that presenting this feature of RDF as a "restriction" is unfair, and misses the point. In my view, the impedance mismatch between RDF and PGs is not due to some arbitrary restriction on the RDF model. It is due to the fact that RDF is a logic, that can be represented as a graph, while PG is a graph data model, without any semantic commitment.

An RDF triple (s p o) is a statement before being an edge in a graph. It states that the relation (denoted by) p holds between (the things denoted by) s and o. That statement is either true or false; therefore the triple is either in the RDF graph or it is not.

Either Bob is married to Alice or not. Either there is a pipe between M1 and M2 or there is none. If finer grained information is required (which marriage? which pipe?), then additional nodes must be added (as suggested by Jos in his answer, or in https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star/cg-spec/2021-07-01.html#occurrences). That is a feature of RDF, not a bug.

> [ about the example with "double-nested" triples ]
> This is of course a perfectly valid approach, but it does not match the typical approach when using LPGs.
> Note also that, while the example above captures the correct semantics, it is awkward (...

It might be awkward, but if it captures the correct semantics, then maybe that's the way it should be represented in RDF ;-)

More generally, I strongly believe that, because of the different focuses of RDF vs. PG, we should not strive for a one-size-fit-all mapping between the two. Different patterns in PGs convey different semantics, therefore they should be mapped differently to RDF. This is the line of work explored by Julian Bruyat in his PHD (which he also presented at the SCG workshop [1]).

  best

[1] Bruyat et al.  "PREC: Semantic Translation of Property Graphs". 1st Workshop on Squaring the Circle
on Graphs (SCG2021), SEMANTiCS 2021. https://mosaicrown.github.io/scg2021/#mu-schedule